Multi-Tool :: Leatherman Super Tool
A knife is essential for fire building, shelter construction, and first aid.
Multi-tools or Swiss Army-style knives are the most useful, since they provide a number of functional tools in a reasonably small package.
Always carry at least one knife, with a multi-tool or Swiss Army-style as the preferred first choice. Other choices are listed in the Tactical Notes.
Wire saw coiled up for storage in Tool Kit.
A military-grade wire or pocket saw supplements knife/multi-tool carry. Small and lightweight, a pocket saw can cut through larger tree branches much faster than a knife, yet takes up very little space.
Things happen on the trail, and it’s best to be prepared. A compact, yet complete Tool Kit contains the various and sundry parts, accessories, and tools that keeps everything flowing.
Consider carrying the following in your Tool Kit:
- Small diamond sharpening rod (for knife and tool blades).
- Length of duct tape (can be wrapped around something, such as your match case).
- Two sewing needles with 10 ft. of heavy-duty thread.
- 50 ft. (minimum) military-grade 550 cord.
- Several plastic zip ties.
- Several wire twist ties
- Safety pins (two large, two small).
- Square of aluminum foil.
- 1-2 ft. coil of stiff, yet flexible wire.
- Several Zip-lock baggies.
- Small roll bright pink or orange flagging ribbon (for marking gear, trails, signalling…).
- At least two small, strong carabiners; for securing gear or?
- Two large garbage bags.
- Anything else you can think of for your specific needs…